About our hospital
Southside Hospital is a 300-bed hospital with physicians, nurses and staff who provide healthcare services in all medical specialties. As Northwell’s most eastern tertiary hospital and a Level II trauma center, we're an integral member of Long Island’s South Shore community, providing quality care to our neighbors for over 100 years. We’ve put our hearts into building an award winning heart and lung program. With top rated physicians, leading-edge research and the most advanced technology, we've been ranked one of the 50 Best Hospitals in the U.S. for heart surgery. We are also among the top 10 percent in the country for coronary interventional procedures in 2018, according to Healthgrades.
Our Centers of Excellence include:
- Heart and Lung
- Women’s health
At Southside, we offer specialists in a number of surgical subspecialties, including surgical oncology, breast surgery, gynecologic oncology, colorectal surgery, thoracic surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery and neurosurgery.
Our surgeons have received extensive training and have achieved regional, national and international recognition for their work in clinical care, research, education and medical administration. Our surgical subspecialists have expertise in performing minimally invasive surgeries, including da Vinci robotic surgery and advanced laparoscopic surgery. These advanced techniques may result in less blood loss, decreased pain, quicker recovery time, shorter hospital stay and less scarring.
As a premier provider of comprehensive orthopedic care in the region, our cutting-edge diagnostic, surgical and rehabilitation services are based on the latest advances in corrective treatment. We use a collaborative care approach to provide treatment strategies for the best possible outcomes.
The Division of Neurosurgery at Southside Hospital is a part of the Northwell Health Neuroscience Institute, one of the New York metropolitan area’s largest providers of neurological and neurosurgical care, treating brain tumors, traumatic brain injury and disorders of the spine. Southside Hospital also offers all aspects of neurological disease treatment, including our Sleep Center accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, a Level III Epilepsy Center, which is certified by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers, and a state-designated, Gold Plus Award Stroke Center.
Additionally, Southside Hospital’s women’s health services offer comprehensive OB/GYN care. Our Maternity Center is a hospital within a hospital, which is dedicated to a safe and supportive childbirth in a convenient, comfortable and family-oriented setting.
Exceptional, specialized care
Southside is home to an award-winning cardiac surgery program. Our state-of-the-art hybrid operating room combines interventional, imaging and surgical services all in one place.
The Northwell Health Orthopaedic Institute offers a full range of services for illnesses and injuries affecting the bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons. Our programs include:
- Foot and ankle
- Hand and wrist
- Joint replacement
- Shoulder and elbow
- Spine care
- Sports medicine
- Trauma and fractures
Neurology and neurosurgery
With experienced neurosurgeons, 24/7 inpatient physician assistant coverage and CT and MRI technicians on call, our Division of Neurosurgery offers a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic capabilities, including:
- CT, CTA, CT perfusion
- Cerebral angiography
- Image guided navigational surgery systems for cranial surgery
- Spine surgery, including minimally invasive
We provide all aspects of neurological disease treatment through our following programs:
- Sleep Center
- Epilepsy Center
- Stroke Center (state designation and Gold Plus Award)
Our Maternity Center provides high-quality care in women’s health. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is supported by a full spectrum of board-certified subspecialists in:
- Reproductive endocrinology/infertility
- Gynecologic oncology
- Genetic counseling
Setting the new standard for heart attack care
Southside Hospital is the first hospital on Long Island to be recognized for achievement in heart attack care by the American Heart Association with the Mission: Lifeline Gold Award.
We earned the distinction by partnering with local EMS (emergency medical services) to ensure heart attack patients promptly receive the treatment they need to restore blood flow through the heart. We installed leading edge technology so our EMS partners can communicate a heart attack patient’s condition quickly to our physicians before their arrival at the emergency department, so the team can start preparing.
By collaborating internally and externally, we consistently exceed national standards for heart attack care and offer some of the fastest emergency interventional cardiac care in the nation—because every minute counts.
Additional achievements in cardiac care
The 2014 New York State Department of Health report on PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention) procedures listed Southside Hospital as having the best success rates for all types of coronary interventions. PCI is a nonsurgical procedure used to treat narrowing (stenosis) of the coronary arteries of the heart found in coronary artery disease.
Mission & vision
As a member of Northwell Health, Southside Hospital strives to improve the health of the communities it serves and is committed to providing the highest quality clinical care; educating the current and future generations of healthcare professionals; searching for new advances in medicine through the conduct of biomedical research; promoting health education; and caring for the entire community regardless of the ability to pay.
Honors & awards
Southside is proud to be the recipient of many awards and designations for our outstanding health care, education and research.
- U.S. News & World Report High Performing Hospitals COPD, Heart Failure, Hip and Knee Replacement: Southside Hospital
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2017 Healthcare Equality Index Top Performer: Southside Hospital
- Commission on Cancer Accreditation: Southside Hospital
- Southside Hospital recognized by American Heart Association for heart attack care
- Surgical Review Corporation Center of Excellence for Minimally Invasive Gynecology: Southside Hospital
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine Accredited Sleep Center: Southside Hospital
- HealthCare’s Most Wired 2017: Southside Hospital
- Designated Lung and Cancer Screening Center-American College of Radiology
- Mission: Lifeline Gold Award
- American Heart Association
- Gold Seal of Approval: Hip & Knee Replacement Surgery - The Joint Commission
- Epilepsy Center - Level 3 National Association of Epilepsy Centers
- Gold Plus Award - Get with the Guidelines - Stroke American Heart Association
- Center of Excellence in Robotic Surgery - Surgical Review Corporation
- Verified Level 2 Trauma Center - American College of Surgeon
- Gold Plus and Target Stroke Elite Plus from the AHA/ASA in stroke
- Recognized for healthcare quality by the AHA|ASA in the 2018 “Best Hospitals” Edition of U.S. News & World Report